Toddler who accidentally locked himself in his mother's car laughs as five firefighters try to free him
A laughing toddler in Cornwall was rescued by hero firefighters after they battled free him from a locked car while he watched from the driver's seat.
Little 14-month-old Brandon Emery was seen bearing a huge, adorable grin as he clutched the steering wheel of his mother's Rover Streetwise after accidentally locking himself inside.
His mother, Kirsty Green, 27, described the rescue crews from Bude Community Fire Station, Cornwall, as 'amazing' and 'a credit to the community'.
Green, from Bude, said she had been shopping with her young son in Lidl on Friday afternoon, and had just unloaded the groceries into the boot of the car when Brandon managed to trap himself.
'He'd been in the little child seat of the shopping trolley but it didn't have any straps, so he kept trying to stand up while I was shopping,' she said.
'I decided to put him in the back of the car while I was unloading the shopping so he didn't keep trying to stand up in the trolley.'
Green said she had absent-mindedly placed her car keys in the boot while she was loading the car, and realised she had forgotten to pick them up - when her son pushed down the central locks inside the car.
'I was a bit panicky at first, wondering how I was going to get him out, but luckily a few other shoppers quickly came to help me out, and one lady working in Lidl phoned 101,' she said.
She added, 'It wasn't a particularly hot or sunny day so once I knew the rescue crews were on the way I knew he'd be fine.'
And Brandon's mum credits the crews from Bude Community Fire Station, led by Watch Manager Matthew Wonnacott, for their 'brilliant' rescue efforts.
'They were amazing, and I think just as much as they were keeping Brandon entertained, he was equally making them laugh,' she said.
The crews were at first using small hand tools to attempt to free the toddler, but eventually had to smash the rear driver's window and climb into the car, after Brandon managed to get hold of a two pence coin and put it in his mouth.
'That's when I started to panic, because I thought, "Oh God, what if he chokes on it",' said Green.
The members of the rescue team confirmed that Brandon was 'quickly' released from the car and returned to his mother uninjured.