An SMRT contractor who suffered an electrical burn had gone to a sector – where the power had not been switched off – without first seeking approval, SMRT said.
The incident, which happened on Thursday morning (May 26) at about 1.50am, took place at Sembawang MRT station.
According to SMRT, three staff along with two contractors were on the track by the platform of the station to conduct maintenance work during engineering hours.
“Initial investigations indicate that the maintenance team was given approval to access a sector of the track, where traction power had been switched off,” said Mr Patrick Nathan, SMRT’s Vice President of Corporate Information and Communication.
However, the contractor went to an adjacent sector instead, for which prior approval had not been sought and where the traction power had not been switched off.
He then proceeded to use a gauge to measure the height and distance from the third rail to the running rail at the unauthorised sector. When the gauge came into contact with the live third rail, he was jolted by an electrical shock and sustained burn injuries to his left hand.
The third rail supplies electrical power to trains.
The incident also triggered the circuit breaker at the station switch room, Mr Nathan said.
The worker, who is in his 20s, was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital. He has since been discharged, SMRT said.
The latest incident comes after two rail workers were killed after they were hit by an oncoming train near Pasir Ris MRT Station on Mar 22. SMRT admitted after the accident that the maintenance staff had not followed safety procedures.
When asked whether SMRT will review its safety protocols after the latest incident, the transport operator said it will conduct a detailed investigation.
“SMRT will continue with more detailed investigations to determine how existing procedures can be effectively strengthened. All persons working on SMRT trains and infrastructure must be supervised and properly safeguarded,” Mr Nathan said.