KUALA LUMPUR — The two Islamic State (IS) supporters, who carried out the first terror bombing in Malaysia at the Movida night spot, have been jailed 25 years each by the High Court.
In sentencing both men – Imam Wahyudin Karjono, 22, and Jonius Ondie @ Jahali, 25 – Judge Nordin Hassan said the bombing caused chaos and injuries, some serious, to eight people who were at the night spot.
Imam and Jonius were also sentenced 10 years each for supporting terror activities.
Mr Nordin ordered the sentences to run concurrently from Imam and Jonius dates-of-arrest, June 29 and July 1, 2016, respectively.
“Out of the eight, some were seriously injured, some maimed and some have bomb shrapnel in them. The act of throwing a hand grenade is very serious crime, and the bombing of the Movida night spot was in fact, the most serious terror related crime in Malaysia.
“By imposing deterrent sentences for the crimes committed by the both of you, I am also sending out a message to others, including your comrades who want to continue fighting for terror,” said Mr Nordin.
Factory worker Imam and Jonius, unemployed, were charged with supporting terror activities for hurling a hand grenade and injuring eight people at the Movida Pub in Puchong at about 2am on June 28, 2016
Imam was also charged with spreading terror ideology through the Telegram application at his home at C-4-19, Block Chempaka, Jalan Indah 1, Puchong Indah in Puchong between March 25 and June 28.
Jonius was also accused of providing support to terror acts with the intention to further an ideology to threaten the people of Malaysia via messaging application Telegram.
He allegedly committed the offence at a house at Jalan Sg Condong 3, Bandar Armada Putra in Pulau Indah here, between March 25 and July 1, last year.
Lawyers Wan Azwan Aiman Wan Fakhruddin, who represented Imam and PA Sharon, who acted for Jonius, in seeking lenient sentences for their clients, told the court the men had regretted their actions and have repented.
The court also heard that the men had carried out the attack under the instruction of IS supporter Muhamad Wanndy Mohammad Jedi.
“Both of them are also young offenders who should be given a second chance to turn their lives around as they are truly sorry for what they have done.”
The court also heard that Imam had failed all his subjects in the Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (SPM) examination while Jonius, had studied up to Standard Two.
Deputy public prosecutor Saiful Edris Zainuddin in requesting the court to impose deterrent sentences said the men had initially pleaded guilty when they were first charged in July last year, and then had claimed trial and today they have decided to plead guilty again.
“They withdrew their plea of innocence on the second day of trial, where eight witnesses were called to testify. No discount should be given for sentencing because the men had changed their plea.
“The accused should be given 25 years jail each for hurling the hand grenade and 20 years each for supporting terror activities. The jail terms should also run consecutively,” said Mr Saiful.