An ACS (International) fourth-year student was found dead in his boarding house room last week.
Today newspaper reported that the school’s principal, Mr Kerr Fulton-Peebles, wrote in a circular to parents that the 17-year-old Vietnamese student died in his sleep on 25 September.
The identity of the boy was withheld by the school to protect the privacy of his parents.
The principal said the incident comes “as a complete shock” because the teenager, who was boarding at Oldham Hall in Barker Road, had no history of medical problems.
The hall’s executive director, Mr David Chua, told the newspaper that staff members at the boarding house are not privy to any issues the boy might have had.
He added that the Vietnamese student was a “good boarder” who loves music and books. He played the piano and “always had a book in his hand”.
Mr Fulton-Peebles said counselling is available for those who need help dealing with the student’s death.
A memorial service was held at Oldham Hall, while another is being planned to be held in the school, which is located near Holland Village.
Police are still investigating and have classified the case as an unnatural death.