Two more drivers are being investigated for going against the flow of traffic, bringing the number of such cases under probe since Dec 28 to eight, the Traffic Police said on Wednesday (Jan 11).
Asked if there has been a spike in the number of drivers going against traffic flow recent months, Traffic Police commander Sam Tee said at a media briefing that most of the cases investigated were accidental.
Citing the number of dangerous driving cases, which includes willfully driving against traffic flow, had fallen from 189 between January to September in 2015 to 118 over the same period last year, he attributed the perceived spike in recent months to more public postings of such incidents on social media and reported to the Traffic Police, following the Dec 19 fatal Ayer Rajah Expressway (AYE) accident that saw one killed and three injured when a 53-year-old man went against traffic direction.
Giving an update on the cases under probe, the Traffic Police said one of the eight will be charged in court on Thursday (Jan 12) for dangerous driving.
The 30-year-old male, who had allegedly driven his red BMW coupe against the flow of traffic along the AYE in the wee hours of Jan 5, was arrested on Jan 6 at around 6pm near Jubliee Road. He is also being investigated for drink driving.
If found guilty of dangerous driving, he could face a fine of S$3,000 or 12 months’ jail for the first conviction, or both.
For drink driving, he could be fined between S$1,000 and S$5,000 or jailed up to 6 months.
To prevent more accidental cases of driving against traffic flow, the Traffic Police said road safety improvements — like the placement of more prominent road direction markers — would be made. They would be working with partners like the Land Transport Authority, and other agencies, to do so.