Barbie Hsu’s Husband’s Hotel Offered 'Graduation Certs' To Their Guests Who Completed Their Self-Quarantine Stay
Barbie Hsu’s husband, Wang Xiaofei, came under fire last month when netizens complained about the hefty NT$84,000 (S$4,000) price tag that came with the 14-day ‘quarantine package’ his hotel, S Hotel, was offering.
The package, which includes free WiFi, a 24-hour front desk, professional waste management services and three meals a day, was deemed too expensive by some netizens. Though there were also those who pointed out that it was a fair price to pay for staying in a four-star hotel for two weeks.
Since then, a number of guests have completed their stays there, one of whom is a second year university student who has sung praises of the hotel and its staff.
The unnamed guest, who had returned to Taipei from the United Kingdom, shared that she was issued a graduation certificate from S Hotel when she checked out. The certificate named her a graduate of the ‘Love and Joy Department’, and was signed off by its "principal" Wang Xiaofei. She was also given pineapple tarts, a S Hotel luggage tag and a bottle of hand sanitiser.
Apart from the heartwarming gifts, the netizen shared that she was very happy throughout her entire stay because the S Hotel staff were cheery and had constantly checked up on her. She said she received calls at least once a day from the front desk, with staff asking how she was feeling.
The food, she revealed, was also delicious, with a choice of Western and Asian cuisine.
The netizen’s mother has also stepped forward to thank S Hotel for their help, and praised Xiaofei in particular for being compassionate and mindful of the guests and their family members.
Hongkong actress Elena Kong took to her socials on March 10 to announce a sobering piece of news — her 80-year-old uncle had died from COVID-19.
“My uncle who contracted COVID-19 while [living] in a nursing home in New York, left the world this morning [March 10]. I hope that he’s able to enter paradise, and I wish for this pandemic to end as soon as possible! Amitabha,” she wrote.
When Hongkong media reached out to the 48-year-old, she gave more details about her uncle’s passing. Elena said that his death was very sudden and that he had lived in a nursing home after suffering a stroke a while back.
She added that she only knew of his passing when her cousin reached out to her, and that her mother was devastated. And because her uncle lived in New York, Elena and her family are unable to fly over to pay their last respects.
“I always thought that this pandemic was something that is very far away from me, but it turns out that it’s capable of taking away the people you love in the blink of an eye. Thank you all for your concern! I hope that everyone will continue to press on, and cherish those around them,” she said.
Finally, she also shared that as she has no ongoing projects at the moment, she spends most of her time at home to stay safe.
Jay Chou Says No One Recognised Him In His Early Showbiz Days Even Though Most Shops Were Playing His Songs
Way before Jay Chou was a private jet-taking, luxury penthouse-owning pop king performing to sold-out crowds, he was just one of the many fresh-faced crooners trying to make it big in the music industry.
Sure, his debut album was a smash hit, even bagging him the Best Pop Vocal Album at the Golden Melody Awards in 2001. But according to the now 41-year-old, he was far from famous.
In the latest episode of his Netflix travel show, J-Style Trip, Jay and Taiwanese host Blackie Chen took a trip to Ximending to visit the venue where Jay's very first autograph session was held.
Jay recalled how when he first got started in showbiz, he bumped into a fan who wanted his autograph. He was initially very flattered, but when the fan walked over to him, she said: “Can you bring this to Jay Chou to get him to autograph it?”
As it turns out, although Jay’s songs were very popular with the general public and they were being played in every shop, no one really knew what he looked like, or who he was.
“It felt really good to hear my songs being played, and I’ll walk into the shops on purpose, and remove my cap [hoping to get recognised]. But no one knew who I was, and I never got to experience anyone asking me for my autograph,” he said.
Well, guess 2001 Jay would be pleased to know that there’s no absolutely no chance of that happening in 2020.
Elva Hsiao Says Recovering From Her Traumatic Head Injury Is Like Returning From "The Gates Of Hell"
Everyone knows Taiwanese singer Elva Hsiao is total badass and now she has the battle scars to prove it.
While filming her music video in the US last October, the 40-year-old got into an accident that left a gaping wound on her head and that it required six surgical staples. On April 7, the singer wrote a lengthy post on Facebook. While she didn't reveal how she got injured, she admitted that the accident had such a huge effect on her, she needed time to recover from it mentally.
“I posted the photos mainly because I feel that everyone takes their own lives too lightly,” she began. “I recalled my accident when observing the global COVID-19 situation (..) Sometimes, words can’t express how much pain I went through, and I thought that using a photo to share how much it hurt would convey the message even better."
"Apart from letting everyone hear my music, I hope that everyone will understand that they should think about their health so that you won’t go through the pain that I did.”
She continued, “I got hurt while I was at work. The road to recovery was painful. I got better one step at a time, and standing back up wasn’t easy. I hope everyone treasures and loves themselves, and that you won’t cause worry and trouble for the people around you.”
Elva ended her post with: “If I didn’t manage to return from the gates of hell, [I would have let down] my family members who gave up their sleep [to be with me], who accompanied me to the restroom, fed me water, and reminded me to keep breathing, that I am Elva Hsiao (…) We can tide over this if we treasure ourselves and our bodies.”
Turns out, it’s pretty easy for a star to go incognito on the streets of Singapore. Well, according to Kai Ko, at least, who claims he has never been recognised by a fan while in Singapore, despite being a frequent visitor.
The actor, who shot to fame after starring in the 2011 coming-of-age movie You Are The Apple Of My Eye, saw his popularity plummet just three years later, when he and Jackie Chan’s son, Jaycee Chan, were arrested for marijuana consumption in Beijing.
Since then, Kai has been on the slow but steady road to redemption, and was even nominated for Best Actor for his role in Road To Mandalay at the Golden Horse Awards in 2016.
On April 5, the 28-year-old actor took to Instagram to answer some fan questions, lamenting that because of the COVID-19 pandemic, he has been “wasting away at home, [and] about to grow mouldy."
He soon started firing off a series of rapid-fire answers to questions that were sent in, like how he’s currently single, and that he would do a live stream video “once I slim down”. When a fan asked for a recent selfie, Kai replied with a picture of a young Takuya Kimura in jest.
The actor, who was one of the foreign stars who graced the Star Awards in 2017, is also apparently quite fond of holidaying in Singapore.
But when a fan from Singapore sent in a question asking if he “misses his Singaporean fans”, Kai replied: “I go to Singapore super often... but no one recognises me on the street”.
About a month ago, Chinese singer Della Ding (also known as Ding Dang) started a weekly live stream series called Della’s Home Diary as a way to provide updates and keep in touch with her fans during the COVID-19 outbreak.
So far, her activities have included a two-hour virtual concert, a make-up tutorial, and a cooking session with her mum. In the latest installment, which was posted last Sunday (Apr 5), the 37-year-old showed her followers how she keeps fit at home.
According to Della, she’s been into rope skipping lately, and clocks in about 1,000 to 1,500 skips three or four times a week.
“Because of the pandemic, I can only exercise at home, and it just so happens that it’s been a long time since I jumped rope, so I use it as a substitute for jogging,” she explained.
To switch things up a little, Della does a variety of moves, such as skipping with one leg or executing a “criss-cross” trick. During the live stream, she kept fans entertained by singing her own songs like ‘Wild Beast’ and ‘Can’t Guess’ while jumping at the same time.
“I’m tired and out of breath, but I have to keep challenging myself when I work out for it to be interesting!” she said.
Della also demonstrated how she does weighted squats without dumbbells — useful if you didn’t manage to grab any before all the sports equipment shops closed as part of Singapore’s circuit breaker measures — by using two full bottles of water that weigh about a kilogram each.
Besides that, she also stretches with resistance bands (towels are a good alternative if you don’t have any) and does leg lifts and 100 sit-ups before bed.
“I believe it’s necessary to find fun in exercising in order for it to become a long-term habit, but just do what you can so that you avoid injuring yourself,” she reminded everyone.
While Della usually maintains a clean eating lifestyle, she does occasionally crave for something sinful (judging from her photos, her go-to cheat meal seems to be fried chicken). When she does indulge, however, she makes up for it with even more exercise so that she’s able to keep in shape.
“If you want to eat, you’ve got to pay the price!” she laughed.
To say that singers Eason Chan and Jolin Tsai’s COVID-19 song didn’t sit well with the online community would be quite the understatement.
‘Fight as One’, an English song encouraging the world to stand up against COVID-19, is on the fast track to becoming one of the most disliked COVID-19 collaborations ever. At the time of writing, its music video has 35K dislikes compared to 8K likes on YouTube.
So why is it so hated when other COVID-19 song collabs, like JJ Lin and Stefanie Sun’s ‘Stay With You’, have been very well-received?
The music video of the four-minute music song, which reminds people that “we need to fight together as one” and “a fight for everyone, no matter where you're from”, featured images of exhausted front-line workers as well as quarantined families holding positive messages. The vid ended with people releasing sky lanterns into the dark sky, supposedly sending their well-wishes to the world.
Sounds heartwarming, right? But something didn't sit quite right with netizens who noticed images of foreign children apparently cheering China on at the 2:45 mark.
According to netizens, one child was holding on to a hand-painted drawing which read: “Thank you China for your support.”
That image alone set off a wave of harsh criticism, with netizens accusing the music video to be “Chinese propaganda”.
“What do you mean “Thank you China”? Aren’t they the ones who hid the virus for a month and caused this epidemic?” wrote one netizen. “Thanks for what? Thanks China for spreading the coronavirus around the world?” commented another.
Since the song's debut on April 3, the backlash has been loud and constant. Even the lyrics of the song did not go unscrutinised, and netizens were furious about one verse in particular:
“It's really not that bad if you think about it
For once the world has come together
Could've been much worse, you think about it
At least we're not fighting one another.”
“I don't know how "this is not that bad". It is that bad,” one netizen lashed out.
“'Could've been much worse, you think about it…' How ironic. Things could have been less serious if you think about it had China not lied about this,” condemned another.
In addition to criticising the music video, netizens also have not-so-nice things to say about Eason and Jolin, who are from Hongkong and Taiwan respectively.
“They deliberately hired two famous singers from Hongkong and Taiwan,” one netizen pointed out, claiming that the vid is “Chinese propaganda” to show that Taiwan, Hongkong and China are one country.
Jolin has since addressed the issue, thanking those who stood by her despite the controversy.
“I feel insignificant at the moment. No matter what happens in the future, I would still like to thank my fans deeply. Thank you for standing by me throughout my career, those who have encouraged me during my difficult times... Maybe, there will come a time when you feel that you no longer need me, and don’t remember me anymore. But I always believe that life itself is a gift. But as of now, I will give my best effort to continue living my life, no matter if I’m laughing, crying or singing… Thank you to all those who have appeared in my life. Remember to live for yourself,” she wrote.
Last month, reports of Song Joong Ki, 34, tearing down and rebuilding his Itaewon house surfaced. At the time, news agencies stated that it was his marital home with Song Hye Kyo, 38, when they were still a couple.
With his agency refusing to confirm or deny the rumours by saying that they would not comment on his personal life, it was regarded as the truth by the general public.
However, Hye Kyo stepped forward to clear the air yesterday (Apr 8) after reports of her selling her home “in a hurry” surfaced online.
“The house [that Song Joong Ki is tearing down] is owned by Song Joong Ki and was not [the Song-Song couple’s] newlywed home. Song Hye Kyo has never lived in that house,” said her management agency in a statement.
In addition, they shot down reports of Hye Kyo hurriedly putting her home on sale for lower than market price. Korean news agencies had reported that the actress sold a Samseong-dong home for 8.2bil won (S$9.6mil), which is lower than its current valuation, because it holds too many bad memories of her life there with her ex-husband.
Her agency said, “It’s disappointing that misinformation that infringe on her privacy has been reported. That property was put up for sale a year ago and there was a misunderstanding that she wanted to sell it quickly, which caused [undue] speculation (…) It’s ridiculous that a property put on sale a year ago became the root of another rumour.”
The former golden couple has never shared details of their marriage and divorce, which has caused much speculation after their split was announced last June. There had been accusations of infidelity directed on both of parties in the days after their divorce, and the pair's continued silence has left industry watchers assuming that they have signed a non-disclosure agreement.
In related news, Joong Ki was reported to have purchased a US$2.8mil (S$4mil) luxury apartment in Hawaii last December. The apartment is said to be located near the famed Ala Moana Beach in Honolulu, and is believed to be his vacation home. He was spotted by netizens in Hawaii with his family last November, which was when he reportedly checked out potential homes on the island.
The former couple tied the knot on October 31, 2017 and were legally married for 20 months.
So Ji Sub, 43, Married A 26-Year-Old Ex-Reporter And He Donated $59K To Underprivileged Kids To Mark The Occasion
When Korean actor So Ji Sub, 43 revealed last May that he's dating 26-year-old former reporter Cho Eun Jung, netizens marvelled at how their love story sounded straight out of a K-drama.
The pair first met in March 2018, when she interviewed him when the actor was promoting his movie Be With You. They met again when they both attended a mutual friend's gathering, which was where they became friends.
Despite their 17-year age gap, love quickly blossomed between them.
Yesterday (Apr 7), the actor announced through his agency that he has filed for marriage.
“In accordance with [their] wishes to keep the most important and happiest moment of their lives low-key, only their immediate family was present [at the ceremony]," read the statement. "They have decided to donate 50mil won (S$59,000) to [the charity organisation] Good Neighbours. [The money] will be used to purchase tablet computers and smart devices for underprivileged children.”
His generosity was met with praise by netizens, who commended the actor for being socially responsible (no big wedding means less contact with people, right?) in the midst of the COVID-19 outbreak. However, there were some who wondered if they were tying the knot with such haste because she's expecting.
His agency has since clarified that this is not a shotgun wedding, and that they decided to get married because Ji Sub is “on the older side”. They also shared that the couple has no plans for a honeymoon in light of the COVID-19 pandemic, and that work will still come first for him.
The COVID-19 epidemic has disrupted entertainment industries around the world, with filming schedules suspended, major movies pushed back and cinemas shut down indefinitely.
In a show of solidarity with the film industry, Heavenly King Aaron Kwok will reportedly be taking a 30 per cent pay cut on his upcoming movie projects.
While the exact percentage of the 54-year-old’s pay cut has yet to be verified by his company, his long-time manager, May, did admit that a new film is in the works.
“Yes, we have been discussing a film with a production company recently. The theme [of the movie] and the cast are both great, but we’re still talking about it. [Aaron's] fee has not been confirmed, as the details of the shoot is not set yet. They didn’t request for any discount. There is a slump in the industry now. If everyone wants to overcome the situation together, there is room for negotiation,” May revealed, adding that she also hopes that the COVID-19 situation would “pass as soon as possible” so that everyone can return to their daily lives.